You can configure redirects for any pages that you want; for example, the URLs that generally result in a not-found error. This article provides the procedure for configuring URL Redirects.
With redirect configured, when a user tries to open a non-existing page, they are directed to a substituting page.
You cannot redirect the following community pages:
- Vanity URLs
- Home and other primary landing pages, such as
- URLs with parameters
- System URLs, for example, maintenance pages
- Login pages
Please note that you can configure such redirects for content pages only, such as documents, discussions, and questions. You can add them as required, at the same time you do not need to edit the Apache configuration or restart your community when adding or removing them.
Please note that there is a limit of 7,500 redirects per community. This limit is for the total number of redirect rules you can define in your instance.
To configure URL redirects:
- Navigate to Admin Console > System > Settings > Redirection Rules.
The pages for which redirection is already configured and active are displayed in the Input URL section on the Redirection Rules page.
- In Input URL (to match on), enter the URL of the page to be redirected.
- In Output URL (to redirect to), enter the URL of the page to be displayed when users navigate to the URL specified in Step 2.
- In Redirection type, select the type of redirect: 301 permanent or 302 temporary.
We recommend that you use the 301 redirects for external-facing communities.
- Click Save Settings, to apply the changes.