This article provides an overview of the upgrade process of the Jive Hosted instances. Here you will find the details on what to expect and the considerations that you would need to keep in mind when going through the upgrade process.
- Types of Upgrade
- Requesting for an Upgrade
- Considerations on Customizations
Types of Upgrade
Minor or Point Upgrades
A minor or point upgrade involves keeping your existing instances and upgrading them to a new point-version of Jive, for example from 9.0.3 to 9.0.4. This type of upgrade usually doesn't have any new features but includes bug fixes and minor improvements to the existing functionality.
Please refer to the Hosted Minor or Point Upgrade Process for a detailed process on these upgrades.
A major upgrade involves building a new set of instances with a newer version of Jive, while your existing unaffected instances can continue to be used until you officially cut over to the new instances. An example of this would be an upgrade from 8.0.6 to 9.5. Major upgrades also let you enjoy new features and functionality introduced with newer versions.
Please refer to the Hosted Major Upgrade Process for a detailed process on these upgrades.
Requesting for an Upgrade
You need to reach out to your Account Manager/Executive for scheduling the upgrades as per Planning a Jive Hosted Instance Upgrade. They will then help you in coordinating the upgrade efforts with the Professional Services team who will perform the upgrade.
Please include the following details in your request to expedite the experience:
- The exact version you wish to upgrade to.
- Details of your Jive instance that you would like to upgrade.
- The desired timeframe of the upgrade. We will try to accommodate it on the best effort basis.
Important points to note
- Minor or point upgrades are performed on UAT before Production to ensure proper testing and help prevent issues.
- Major upgrades always include building a new set of instances including a Production and UAT for extensive testing during the migration.
Considerations on Customizations
If your Jive instance has customizations in the form of themes, plugins, and/or core platform customizations, etc, migrating them may require some additional development effort during the upgrade. If you,
- Have worked with Jive to deliver the customizations, then please contact your Customer Success Manager to discuss your options of migrating them. This may require engaging the Professional Services team, which can incur additional charges.
- Manage the customizations internally or through a privately contracted third-party then you will need to make arrangements to ensure that the customizations are tested and properly migrated to the upgraded instance. You will be responsible to deploy these customizations during the Test-Run and Go-Live phase of the upgrades.