Jive for Office and Jive for Outlook add-ins provide the users with a variety of features. This article provides an overview of the feature set along with instructions on how to utilize them.
Using Jive for Office
Jive for Office allows you to use the Microsoft Office applications to create documents and have them saved to Jive, where they can be shared with other users for editing (including simultaneous co-editing) and commenting.
You can set up Jive for Office add-in by following the instructions listed in Installing and Configuring Jive for Office For End Users.
Jive for Office features
- Working with shared office documents
As you make changes to a shared document on your computer, Jive for Office synchronizes the document with the version that's visible in the community and provides real-time notifications to users working in the same document.
- Adding documents to community
To have an Office document appear in the community, you can either add it using Jive Connects for Microsoft Office or upload the document from inside the community.
- Copying existing documents
You can upload an existing document and rename it as a new document to start fresh within the community. This creates a newly uploaded document in the community, leaving the previously uploaded document in the community as it was when you last synchronized.
- Keeping documents synchronized
After you've connected your community to Office, Jive Connects for Microsoft Office keeps your documents synchronized with the community.
- Opening documents from community
You can open Office documents from your community to edit them in Office app.
- Working with document versions
As you work on a document in Office, Jive Connects for Microsoft Office keeps.
- Adding comments
When you comment on a document in Office or the community (as opposed to adding inline comments in the body of a document), your comments are synchronized and appear in both places.
- Managing collaborators
You can add collaborators to work on your Office documents.
- Sharing documents with other users
An uploaded document you can share with other community users.
- Disconnecting documents from community
From the Jive ribbon tab in your Office app, you can check is the opened document is connected to the community. If necessary, you can break the connection.
Using Jive for Outlook
Jive for Outlook lets you interact with your community without leaving Microsoft Outlook email.
With Jive for Outlook, you can:
- View and interact with your streams.
- See and respond to community activity you're notified of in preview mode, including marking items as Final, for Action, Outdated, or another available marking.
- Create public and private discussions, status updates, and direct messages and post them to your community.
- Convert email discussions into community discussions.
- See profile information and activity from Jive and other social networks for your contacts, as well as community profile information when available.
You can set up Jive for Outlook add-in by following the instructions listed in Installing and Configuring Jive for Outlook For End Users.
Jive for Outlook features
- Jview and View as email
When you view notification emails from your community or Super Search results, you can use Jview to preview and interact with community activity. Or you can toggle to email view.
- Viewing social information
Jive for Outlook provides rich social context to your email and lets you customize your view.
- Finding the right person
To help Jive for Outlook identify the correct identity for a contact, use the Contact Manager to search.
- Managing connections to Jive communities
You can connect to more than one Jive community by using the Accounts settings.
- Adding external social networks
You can enrich the social information provided to Jive for Outlook by connecting it to other social media networks.
- Viewing Your Jive streams in Outlook
You can view and interact with your streams, including your Jive Inbox, right from Outlook.
- Posting discussions to community
You can post discussions to your Jive community without leaving Outlook.
- Posting status updates to the community
You can post status updates to your Jive community without leaving Outlook.
- Sending direct messages to community users
A direct message is a great way to send one or more people a short and sweet note that won't require a lot of back and forth. You can create a direct message from the Jive menu of Outlook.
- Converting email threads to discussions
You can convert an Outlook email thread into a discussion in your Jive community.
- Marking content in Jive from Outlook
You can mark content as Final, for Action, Outdated, and so on, directly from Outlook.
- Jive Super Search
Jive Super Search combines a search of your Outlook mail folders with a search of community content.
- Enabling and disabling Jive for Outlook
You can enable and disable the Jive for Outlook functionality from the Options dialog box.
- Controlling default views and previews
You can change the Jive for Outlook display using the Options settings in the Jive toolbar.
- Updating to the new version
When you update to a new version of Jive for Outlook, your account information is saved. Nevertheless, you may have to provide your credentials one more time to authenticate.