Creating a group enables you to set up an area where like-minded people can put their heads together and share information on the group subject.
This article provides the procedure for creating groups in Jive.
You must have permissions to create a group, which are set by your community administrator.
Before you create a group, you may want to consider the purpose of the group, what kind of information needs to be included, who will participate, and how people who need to know about it will find it. The way you name the group and the tags you assign to it are different ways you can make it available to people who might be interested in the group.
You can change the group URL when you are creating a group. You will not be able to change the URL after you create the group.
By default, groups use Activity pages with tiles as landing pages.
To create a group:
- In the Admin Console, click the Pencil Icon (), and select Group in the main navigation menu.
This opens the Create Group dialog box.
- In Name, enter the name of the group.
The group name must be unique within the community. This name shows up at the top of the group page and at the end of the URL that links to the group. Also, it should be identifying the group within the community.
- If required, in URL, change the group URL.
You can use this option to make a short URL for your group. The group URL must be unique within the community.
- In Description, enter a brief description to appear in the group's main page.
You should add information on what the group is about in a way that attracts other people who might be interested in the group. For example, your RFP Collaboration group could say "Look for the latest RFP templates and materials here."
This information is displayed behind the Information Icon () and on the Overview page if the group uses one.
- Under Group Type, choose a group type.
You can granularly restrict access for viewing and editing content.
- In Tags, enter tags that can be used to find this group. To enter multiple tags, press
Enterafter each word or phrase.
Tags are words or short phrases that help other people find your group. For example, a Sales group might use the following tags: RFPs, sales_videos, and wins.
- In Categories, select the place categories to associate with the place.
The place categories are used to identify places while browsing. They are used to classify places and differ from content categories. This option is available if place categories are configured in your community.
- If required, click Advanced options to expose more options and specify the following:
- Overview page: Specify whether you want to use a widget-based Overview page. This option may not be available in your community.
- Locale: Select your default language for the group. The group also uses the time zone and date format commonly used in this region.
By default, your place uses an Activity page as its main page, with the option to add more custom pages. We recommend using an Activity page because it can be displayed on mobile devices and because it is more friendly to streaming content. If widgets are enabled in your community (not common), you may want to include an Overview page with widgets.
- Click Create Group.
- If required, in the Invite People to Join dialog box, add a few users who you want to invite to the group, and then click Send Invitation.
You only see this option for Private and secret (Private: Unlisted) groups.
The group is created, and the main page opens for your view. You can now customize the group, as required.