This article provides information on creating user groups, enabling badge images, as well as adding members and admins to the group.
A user group collects user accounts, typically to make it easier to grant all of the managed users specific permissions. For example, you might create a group of human resources workers. Using such a group, you can give them (and only them) permission to view potentially sensitive information about employees, for example, in a 'Benefits' space. A user group is made up of members, who typically are not aware they are in the group. A group also has administrators, who have the 'Admin Console' access through which they can manage user group settings and membership. For more, see Managing User Groups.
To create a user group:
- Navigate to Admin Console > People > Management > Create User Group.
- Under General Settings, in User Group Name, enter a user group name. The name should be meaningful and convey the purpose of the group, for example, HR_bloggers or Support_specialists.
- In Description (optional), enter the description of the user group. You should add the information about the purpose of the group and who is included in it.
- If the group can be used as part of the News audience, select the Visible to News Admin checkbox.
- If you want to use role badges, please follow these steps:
- Under Role Badge, select Enabled.
- In Badge Image, browse and upload a 16 by 16 pixels image to be used as the role badge.
- Select the role for the desired users in this user group from the following roles:
- Click Create Group.
- Use the Add Members links to add user accounts of the members of the new user group. For more information, see Editing (Adding and Removing) Users in User Groups.
- Use the Add Admins links to add user accounts for users who have permission to administer the account. If you use the badge roles, they are not applied to the administrators. For more information, see Editing (Adding and Removing) Users in User Groups.
Try defining user groups before launching the community. For example, you can group users according to employee job function or department. Please note that permissions for a user or a group can be assigned on space or sub-space basis.
You will be able to create user groups, enable badge images, as well as add members and admins to the group.