The Recommender Service, also known as Jive Genius is an engine that collects and analyzes user activity in the community to recommend useful content, people, and places to individual users, and reports trending content and people. It is one of the community features offered by Jive, and this service is enabled by default, but it is essential to know how you can configure this feature.
This article provides the steps in enabling the Recommender service as well as disabling it.
This process applies to Jive 5.0 and above, hosted, cloud, and AWS instances.
- In the Admin Console, go to System > Settings > Activity Engine.
- In the Enable Recommender service setting, select:
- Enabled if you are enabling the service.
- Disabled if you are disabling the service.
- Click the Update button to save.
- A confirmation message saying Activity Engine connection settings were updated successfully appears.
Things to Note:
- If you disable the Recommender Service, your users will not be able to see the Recommended for You widget, the Jive Genius Browse recommendations, or their Trending and Popular content results on the Activity tab of their profile.
- They will still be able to see the Trending People and Trending Content widgets, but the results displayed there will be based on a basic popularity algorithm (stored locally) that measures activity over the last seven days.
- Trending People and Trending Content will not poll or update without a manual browser refresh.