You can create custom fields for user profiles; this can be useful if you want to show a unique aspect of your users, e.g., astrological sign, pet's name, etc. This article provides detailed steps to achieve so.
- In the Admin Console, navigate to .
- Click on Create New Field, which opens the New Profile Wizard page.
- Choose the field type. You can choose from one of the available types to help provide the best user experience for this field's information.
- Click Continue.
- Under Name and Type, in Field Name, enter the field name; this is a label that identifies the field content, and it may be different than what the user sees in their profile.
- Under Translations, enter the display name for the default language, and click Add Translation for each language you want to provide translations for; this is what the user sees in their profile field.
- Under Visibility, select the Users may edit the visibility for this profile field checkbox to allow users to edit their own profile field's visibility, or clear the checkbox to set visibility to the default value for all users.
Note: Only visible fields are available when searching or browsing.
- Under Visibility again, select the default visibility for the field from the available list.
- Under Attributes, specify the following attributes for the field:
Attribute Description Required
People are not able to save a profile when they leave a required field empty.
When a field is filterable, people can type or select values of the field to make a list of people shorter. For example, someone viewing a long list of people in the community could make a list shorter by filtering on the hire date, specifying that the date to be no earlier than last year.
A searchable field is available to the search engine.
People can edit their editable profile fields
Enables users to set this field to their visibility preferences.
- Click Finish to create the field.
The new field is added to the Other Profile Fields section on the Profile Settings page.