In some cases, you may need to choose between designing pages based on Widgets and pages based on Tiles.
When you're setting up a new place, you can choose to enable either an Overview page, which uses Widgets, or an Activity page, which uses Tiles.
Place templates, which are customized for specific kinds of collaboration, always use tiles.
Tiles use newer technology and are mobile-optimized; Widgets cannot be displayed on a mobile device.
- You are configuring a community home page for desktop users. (Widgets are your only choice here.)
- You're setting up a Jive-x community and you need to take advantage of the customer service widgets set.
- You have an Overview page you created in an earlier version of Jive and you're not ready to change the look and feel of the place.
- Your community or the audience of your Place doesn't rely heavily on mobile usage.
- You are configuring a community home page for mobile browser users. (Tiles are your only choice here.)
- Your community or the audience of your Place relies heavily on mobile usage. (For example, many sales teams operate remotely.)
- You need to bring streamed content, such as a Chatter or Facebook stream, into your place from outside the community.
- You want to include custom pages as well as an Activity page in a place. (To use the Pages feature in a place, you need to disable the widget-based Overview page in that place.)