When an Excel file is connected to Jive using Jive for Office, the file size becomes much larger. For example, an Excel file that was 5 MB grows to 22 MB after it gets connected. This article explains the reason for this behavior and provides a workaround if you don't want this to happen.
When an Excel file is connected to Jive using the Jive for Office plugin, protected hidden sheets are automatically added to the file. This sheet contains data that is required to connect the file to Jive as a document, such as the authors, comments, and versions.
If you do not want the additional Jive-specific metadata to be added to your Excel file, you can upload it as a file instead of as a document. Please note that using this option will also force Jive to treat this Excel file as a normal attachment and you will not be able to use the advanced collaborative features of Jive for Office with this file.
If you'd like to remove the Jive-specific hidden sheets, you can follow the steps below. Please note that this will remove all the version history and other Jive-related metadata from the worksheet.
- Save a copy of the Excel file on your computer and open it in Microsoft Excel.
- Click on the File ribbon in the top left corner.
- Select Info > Check for Issues > Inspect Document.
- Click on the Inspect button on the Document Inspector pop-up window.
- After the inspection, scroll down to the Hidden Worksheets section and click on the Remove All button.
- Save the Excel file. This file will now not have the Jive-specific metadata and will be much smaller in size.
If you publish the newly saved file again using Jive for Office, a fresh set of Jive-specific metadata will be added but all previous history will be lost.