The Ask (place) widget allows users to quickly ask a question in a specific space or group in your community, or the entire community
This article provides the procedure for setting up the Ask widget.
After the user types a question into the Ask widget, the search function displays possible answers based on matching keywords. If the user does not see the correct answer in the results list, they can create a question right from the widget. This can be especially helpful in places designed to support customers or employees.
It is not recommended that you use Overview pages with widgets in your community. For more information, see Understanding Pages in Places.
You must be able to edit the place where you want to add the widget. For more information, see Permissions for Customizing Overview pages.
The available options for the search results:
|All Questions||Displays in search results all questions that have been asked, whether or not they have been answered.|
|All Discussions||Displays only discussions in search results.|
|Answered Questions||Displays only Answered Questions in search results.|
|Documents||Displays only documents in search results.|
To add an Ask (place) widget to the Overview page of your place:
- Navigate to a place.
- Navigate to Manage > Overview page.
- From the widgets list, select Content > Ask (place).
- Drag the widget down into your layout area and drop it where required.
- Click the small triangle icon in the upper right corner of the widget to drop the available menu, and select Edit this widget.
- In the Custom title field, enter the title for the widget.
You can use the default title (Ask (place)) or create your own, for example, Ask Us a Question.
- In the Submit button text field, enter the text to be displayed on the Ask button.
You can use the default text or create your own, for example, Submit Your Question.
- In Search Form, select a place you want to perform the initial search.
You can search in the current place, a single place that you specify, or all public places in the community (the root space).
- In the Number of Results field, enter the number of results to return in the search.
- In the Display Results, select which search results must be displayed.
- In Post Questions To, select the place to which you want the questions to be posted.
The place can be different from the place where the Ask widget is located. For example, you could put the Ask widget in an Employee Questions group, but post the questions to the Employee Q&A group.
- Click Save Properties.
- When you are finished making changes to your place's layout, click Publish Layout.